Love In Action

Today's Passage: John 3:16
Memory Verse: John 21:15-17

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

In my line of work, I am often afforded the opportunity to talk about relationships. Whether it be Husband/Wife, Mother/Daughter, Father/Son, etc., maintaining a productive relationship with someone can be hard work. It can also be the most rewarding undertaking one can experience. Most people I talk to on the subject are at a loss for answers when the question is posed: Why don't relationships work, or why are they so hard to maintain? The answer is quite simple. They assess the value of the relationships by what they RECEIVE. What's wrong with that you ask, only one key fact......love gives!

Let's dismiss our perception of love for a moment and look at it the way God sees it. John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world that He GAVE....". Yes, that's right. The Almighty God left a blueprint of true love by giving. And He didn't give just anything, He gave His only Son. Imagine what our relationships would be like if we learned to love like this. Okay let's look at two key points for today:
(1) God gave His Son to the world. He gave His best to people who had done nothing but reject Him. Christians often make the mistake of judging the world. Meaning, we see them and instead of offering hope, we assign condemnation. (2) What God gave was a huge sacrifice. Can you imgaine? Not only do you have to give the most precious gift you have, you have to give it to someone who is currently rejecting you. Wow!

Now back to our relationships. What if we decided to demonstrate our love by giving hope, peace, kindness, gentleness, and charity? Can we truly change our world by loving others the way God demonstrated His love toward us? As you read today's memory verse, take note of the revelation Jesus was showing Peter. Try it today!

Prayer:
Father, I'd first like to thank You for loving me so much. I realize without You, true love wouldn't exist. I pray now for the wisdom and strength to love my family and neighbors as you have demonstrated, giving of my time and available resources. Give me a heart for the broken among us. For as I show them love, I am showing love to You as well. Let me find the strength to love in spite of my past. As I am seeking to please only You with every step I take. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: