All Purposed

Today's Passage: Proverbs 10:12
Memory Verse: Proverbs 10:12

Friday, February 12, 2010


Hello Friends! Come with me as I start today's devotional with a walk down memory lane. I remember being at my house playing in the yard as my mother baked a cake for that Sunday's meal. The house next to ours had a dilapidated garage that my brother and I loved to play around. As we played, my brother stepped on a nail....ouch! After hearing the commotion of it all, my mother called us inside to see what happened. Much to her dismay, the nail had penetrated his skin and his foot started to bleed. By this time my brother and I were really nervous because she had told us time and time again to stay away from that old garage, but boys will be boys right? Okay, to make a long story short, after washing my brother's foot my mother did what I thought was the strangest thing. She went to the kitchen and got some of the very items she used to cook, to apply medication to my brother's foot. I reference this memory because I remember my mother telling my brother "I love you baby, but this is gonna hurt a bit"! I realized that day that there are things in life that can serve many purposes.

The message in this devotional today is love, if used effectively, has many purposes. For some, it's a redeemer. For others, it's a peace-maker. Maybe for you it's a deliverer, or a comforter, or even a savior. The things my mother brought from her kitchen to medicate my brother's foot in my mind had one purpose, but placed in the right hands, they actually had so many more.

I think that's why God gives love. He said in Proverbs 10:12 "hate stirs up strife, but LOVE covers all sins". Yeah, like an all purpose household item. So whenever you make a mistake, remember that love is there to cover you. Oh, applying it might hurt a bit, because like my brother and I, you probably shouldn't have been doing what you were doing to make the mistake anyway. But apply it anyway, so the healing can begin...Blessings!

Prayer:
Father, I know I've made mistakes in life, but You've never turned Your back on me. You've covered me and healed me in ways I can't begin to explain. With Your love being active in my life, I realize I have a place to go for healing, with the comfort of knowing I don't have to make the same mistake again. You're an ALL PURPOSE God....I love You. Amen

No comments: