Love Actually (Men)

Today's Passage: 1Cor.13:1-13
Memory Verse: 1Cor.13:13

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pastor Yassah opened this week with a reference to the upcoming Valentine's Day weekend. Most guys, if they're smart, are making plans to say "I Love You" in that special way. As we do ladies, please remember whatever sentiment comes your way pales in comparison to who you've been in our lives. No words, gifts, or candle-lit dinners will ever be able to measure up to who you are.....You can thank me later fellas!!!

Anyway, it does however remind me of the way I come into God's presence. See, on any Wednesday night or Sunday morning I try to bring all the gifts I can in order to impress God. I make sure I talk the right way, sing the right way, and look the right way, in the hopes that He would take pleasure in the "things" I've brought before Him. But am I REALLY pleasing Him? Isn't the expression of love supposed to be the "culmination" of sound behavior, obedience, prudent speech, and self-control displayed before He even gets the gifts?

What I mean is, if I chose to walk in strife, bitterness, rebellion, and unforgiveness with Yassah Monday through Thursday, and gave her the most beautiful roses in the world Friday, would she be able to see how much I truly love her? Not really! You see, because of those bad choices, the roses would be reduced to becoming a token from a life I'm only pretending to live. God loves our gifts, but He clearly said in His word (1Cor. 13) that even though we can speak like angels, prophesy, exercise faith, and feed the poor, it means nothing if our daily lives aren't filled with LOVE. Think about it Guys! We owe it to God, our wives, and ourselves!!!

Prayer:
Thank You Father for days that are filled with love. I realize today that You are love, and I cannot know love if I don't know You. Through You, I desire to make my wife feel the warmth of love everyday. The love within my marriage will go to new levels today, and it's all because of YOU! In Jesus' Name....Amen

2 comments:

Pastors Chris / Yassah Lee said...

Pastor Chris, that was very well-said. It causes me as a wife and a worshipper to love meaningfully from one day to the next, knowing that I would want to be loved the same way.

PASTORAL STAFF said...

Love the illustration with treating your wife bad all week, then giving her roses on Friday.... It cheapens them and takes away the value of the gift and the value of love... Men (and women for that matter) we must learn to love unconditionally and that means not having relationships on a roller coaster, up and down, but consistent love in our speech, in our actions, and in our behavior.....this is the best roses of all!!!!!!