God's Perfect Law

Tuesday, May 11th, 2010

Today's Passage: Psalm 19: 1-11
Memory Verses: Ps. 19:7-8; 11

It started long ago as a simple debate over the separation of church and state. Later, this debate turned into a battle concerning openly praying in schools. We know how that ended. Now it's a war over removing God's Name completely off of official objects such as American money and the front of courthouses. This makes you wonder: why are some people trying so hard to erase the mention or even the notion of God from our society?

Today's passage gives us some idea why. God is very real, and His Presence cannot be denied. All you have to do is step outside of wherever you live, and you will see (and hear) creation screaming, "God is here! He did this!" And there, my brothers and sisters, is where the heart of the matter lies. You see, if you acknowledged that God is real, you couldn't just let it go at that. You'd have to acknowledge that He created everything just for us, since we're the only part of creation with a will. And if you acknowledged that, you'd be obligated to acknowledge our need for God's law. After all, because our parents love us and sacrifice everything for us, they require us to acknowledge, love, and obey us in return, right?

So for those of us who've already accepted and live our lives by the fact that God exists, this is not an issue. Not only are we grateful for God's presence in our lives, but we also know that, like our parents, His law is there to cover and conform us to His image. I'm so glad today that I serve a God Who loves me enough to come down to my level just to save me, but doesn't stoop to my level once I become saved. I must then spend the rest of my life doing things His way, which only works out for my good. I mean, look at what I get just for being obedient to the law of God. I get to walk in wisdom, joy, and peace in knowing that He's gone before me and seen the traps the enemy has set for me, then tells me where to step so no weapon formed against me can prosper.

May we never allow the unsaved (wayward children who are simply waiting for a glimpse into the love of God) to influence us into feeling resentful about having to follow God's law. Just like we would tell our kids about acquaintances who don't obey their parents, I admonish you to stay as far away as possible from anyone who refuses to see what a blessing it is to have God's law. If you do this, you will find like David did that in keeping it there is GREAT reward. You can't ask for more than that.

Prayer: Father, in these days when so many would throw away your law, I am so grateful that You've used it to lay the foundation for me to be safe and free. I'll never forget the sacrifice You paid, so my obedience is my reasonable service to You. I'm Yours forever and always. In Jesus' Name, Amen!

No comments: