Play Ball!

Thursday, June 30th, 2011

Today's Passage: 1 Kings 3:1-28
Memory Verse: 1 Kings 3:9

Solomon asked God to give him a "God-listening heart".  I've always thought that was an awesome request.  The reason for that is if we are to be more like Christ, we have to have a heart like His.  Do you remember the Wizard of Oz?  The Tin Man Dorothy found on her journey sang a song that said he could do all these extraordinary things if he only had a heart.  What amazing things could you accomplish for God if you had His heart?  It's worth some thought.

In contrast, the heart I had before the Lord saved me was a bad one.  It was selfish, and only wanted to make "me" feel valued and accomplished.  Its main goal was self.  It didn't want me involved in relationships or activities that didn't make me the focus.  It reminds me of a game of baseball I played in one summer.  I had been the starting 3rd baseman the whole season, but on this particular day, the coach told me to play center field.  See, I didn't know the team we were about to play hit the ball really well and were fast on the bases.  All I could think about was having to play center field.  My heart immediately became angered and rebellious.  It led me to strike out on purpose in the 2nd inning, even though we had a man on 3rd base waiting to score the tying run. 

My heart also told me not to hustle or encourage my teammates during the game.  It had total control of me.  Then, something happened in the 5th inning that would forever change me.  While standing in center field (sulking of course), the other team managed to get a man on 2nd base with two outs.  Just then, the batter hit the ball straight at me.  By the time I got to the ball, the runner had rounded 3rd base and was heading for home.  I couldn't let that happen.  So, I picked up the ball and hurled it toward home.  The catcher caught it and tagged out the runner.  As I ran into the dugout the coach called me.  "You were mad at me when I put you in center, but there's no-one else on the team who could've made that throw.  If you're going to be successful in baseball, or life, you're going to have to have a GOOD HEART about whatever you're doing".  I sat on the bench and cried my eyes out.  How could I have been so selfish?  Friends, your purpose and your desire may not be the same thing today, but if you have a God-listening heart toward your purpose, you'll soon have your desires.

Solomon seemingly had no desire for the material things that came with being a king, but he was serious about his purpose.  He was intent on having a heart for God.  Okay, so you're not the 3rd baseman today, so make the most of being in center field.  Appreciate the fact that you're at least in the game.  Find peace in being part of a team; a member of the body.  Ask God today for a heart like His.  That way, you can see others the way He sees them, and you can also see yourself.

Prayer:  Father, turn the light of Your love on me so I can be more like You.  Remove all the selfishness and pride from my life.  My desire will forever be to bring You pleasure by faith and devotion.  I'm Yours forever, in Jesus' name.  Amen   

No comments: