God's Abiding Love

Thursday, June 2nd, 2011

Today's Passage: 1 Corinthians 13: 1-8
Memory Verse: 1 Cor. 13: 1-2

If I remember anything about our marriage at the beginning, it would be that we were on two absolutely different islands with no clue what was going on in one another's hearts. My idea of love was that of the fairy-tale romance from the soap operas, while he probably just wanted the opposite of what he grew up seeing. As time went by, I would sometimes wonder whether my husband really loved me. I couldn't be sure of his love, because it seemed as if we couldn't agree on anything. It wasn't really until a couple of years later that I truly began understanding what true love was all about.

The first glimpse of God's love at work came when our family moved to ALM. My husband was attacked in the area of his credibility by a close family member, and that's when I truly understood the power of unity. As long as we stood together, nothing and no-one could come between us. I learned the true meaning of "love never fails".

Little by little, I've come to know that God tells us to love HIS way for a reason. The only kind of love that lasts is love that's long-suffering, kind, and refuses to see the other person as the enemy. No matter how we see things, there's only one way-- God's way. There is NO such thing as divorce, because God creates man and wife to fit each other. Never in the body of Christ will there ever be irreconcilable differences between us.

Now, fifteen years later, do we still encounter attacks on our family in one form or another? Of course. Is married life perfect? Of course not. But WE know who we are to each other: God's answer to those questions and problems from outside. Last December, when we renewed our vows to one another, there were none of the illusions from our earlier life. There was only a strong sense of God's deep, abiding love that will accompany us into eternity.

Prayer: Father, I praise You for Your love that has taught me to be selfless. When issues arise, I look for Your answer. May the world --and others in the body of Your Son -- see us walk out this powerful weapon against the forces of darkness. We live to bring glory to Your Name. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: