Correction, Not Condemnation

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010

Today's Passage: Proverbs 3:1-12 
Memory Verse: Prov. 3:11-12

Lately, I've noticed how often my husband and I are having to chastise our children.  We do believe in spanking (yes, for the Bible tells us so), but as they get older and more exposed to the influences of television or friends who may not have a godly upbringing, we find it necessary to use other methods that will get their attention more effectively.  It may mean taking away something they love to do, or it might just mean more chores over an extended period of time.  To the child, chastening is never pleasant.  But oh, how impactful those moments are for the rest of their lives!

In today's passage, we are reminded that there are times when the Lord has to be a Father to us.  When He sees us straying in a certain area, or walking in error in another, God's Word and His Holy Spirit both raise the standard to provide correction.  We actually know what happens to us as CONVICTION.  It's that feeling that tears you up inside when the Holy Spirit witnesses with our spirits that we're not where we should be in our walk with God.  This is actually a wonderful thing, because this is what lets us know that God doesn't want anything to keep us apart from Him.

But here's where the danger lies for the believer.  If we ever begin to mistake God's chastening for condemnation, we'll start doing exactly what we should NOT do: have an attitude of contempt towards whatever form of correction God is giving us.  And the moment we start doing that, we take God out of the place of a real Father and make Him an illegitimate one.  What Father wants to harm his child?  What parent wants anything but the best for his or her offspring?  God's heart is no less towards us.  There are just some moments in our lives that He must chastise us to make us better.

Today, meditate on some hard lessons you've had to learn (as a believer as well as when you were a child).  How did those lessons help you become better?  Now think about what you may be going through spiritually that might be tempting you to harden your heart against God.  Here's our advice: DON'T DO IT!!!  As Pastor Nette often says, trust the Potter's Hand.  He knows what He's doing with your life.  See yourself walking in victory over the enemy in this area.  Don't be like the children of Israel who only wanted God to deliver them, but refused to allow Him to tell them what to do.  Remember: it's only correction, not condemnation.

Prayer: Father, I'll be honest and admit that this chastening I'm walking through doesn't feel good to my flesh.  But then I look back and see how every time you had to correct me was only for my good.  I yield myself once again to your Hand and thank You for Your Fatherly covering. Let this time produce pure gold in me, bring me ever closer to You, and make You famous in my life.  I love You forever.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.

   

No comments: