Walkin' On Water... ALL the way!

Saturday, March 26th, 2011

Today's Passage: Matthew 14:22-36
Memory Verse(s): James 1:2-8 

There's a song by Christian rap artist Lecrae entitled, "Walking on Water".  It's an awesome reminder to the body of Christ of who we are and what Jesus has done for us by giving up His life on the cross.  Part of the chorus goes, "When I see a problem, when it gets tough, I won't get soft and I ain't givin' up.  There's no turnin' back, cuz I'm [gonna] stay strong.  It's time to go hard or it's time to go home, so I'm walkin' on water...". I never understood the full purpose of storms until I realized how much stronger I am now that I've made it through so many of them.

In the passage, the disciples had just been part of what you'd consider a mountaintop experience.  They had just witnessed their Lord multiply three loaves and two fish for five thousand plus people to eat.  This was the perfect time for them to be "walking on water".  But it's also the time that God knows the enemy is lurking and seeking whom he can trip up and defeat.  So, you'll notice Jesus sent them across the river by themselves.  

It was literally a setup.  Jesus knew the storm was coming, and He used it as an opportunity to teach them dependence on Him.  God does the same thing to us today.  He places His children in a situation where only He can deliver us.  It forces us to choose one of two things: will we trust the Father, acknowledging our weaknesses and renouncing every quick-fix method we've ever known?  Or will we lapse back into our old ways of solving problems if Jesus doesn't come through for us in our time?

The disciples partly got the message.  They were terrified, about to give up until they saw Jesus coming.  Immediately, Peter asked Him to command him to come if he was really the Christ.  Of course, Jesus responds to faith, so He did exactly that.  What does what happened next tell you about who's to blame when our "walking on water" experience fails?  God is not limited to the natural, but we limit Him when we don't trust Him all the way.  This is where storms gain their importance: the more we go through tests and trials, the stronger our faith gets until we really DO learn to walk on water ALL the way.

Prayer: Father, I just want to thank You for every storm.  It didn't feel good while I was walking through it, but now I understand that each ounce of pain had its purpose.  I'm so strong now that I will be able to walk in victory no matter what comes my way.  May all my brothers and sisters also be able to say, "I'm going hard, not home, cuz I'm walkin' on water.". In Jesus ' Name, Amen. 

No comments: