Truth Worth Living For

Thursday, March 31st, 2011

Today's Passage: John chapter 18
Memory Verse(s): John 10:17-18

When I was growing up, I always wondered why the Jews were so badly hated by people all over the world.  Even in Liberia, where people are mostly tolerant of other nationalities and cultures, something came over people around Easter time.  A huge effigy (image) made of cloth was created, and people would parade downtown hitting it with switches.  When I asked my mother why they were doing that, she told me it was an image of Judas, who betrayed Jesus.

But as I came to know the Lord for myself, I realized Judas didn't kill Jesus.  Yes, he was disgruntled about the way Jesus dealt with the government.  He'd thought Jesus' purpose was more political, and the more he realized it wasn't, he decided to take matters into his own hands by forcing Jesus to stand up to the powers that be.  In spite of all that, he was only used to set up Jesus' death.  

Caiaphas, the high priest, had pretty much orchestrated the whole thing.  He and his cohorts hated the way Jesus would teach and wow the people.  They were afraid that He would cause a riot against the Roman government, bringing trouble upon them all.  But basically, they were jealous of the favor Jesus had with people in general..  Still, Caiaphas and his priests were not to be blamed for Jesus' crucifixion.

Was it Peter, then? Although he was always pledging his undying love for Jesus, that love was apparently nowhere to be found when his Friend and Master needed him the most.  Three times, he denied even knowing Jesus while our Lord was being interrogated and abused.  But no earthly or heavenly being caused Jesus to die.  Before the foundation of the world, He laid it down for you and me so that we'd never have to taste death (eternal separation from God).  If you're reading this and are skeptical of so-called absolute truths, this is one you can stake your life on.  Jesus died so we can all live; now that's truth worth living for.

Prayer: Father, How can I say thanks for what You did for me?  Before I even knew I needed You, You made Yourself available to save a wretch like me.  I'll spend the rest of my life proclaiming that You are Lord.  I love You forever, Amen.      

No comments: