Is it Morning Yet?

Friday March 4, 2011

Today's Passage: 2 Kings 25:1-30
Memory Verse: Psalms 30:5

Of all the messages I get from God's word, being able to endure is the one that sticks out most.  God puts His people in some really harsh positions sometimes.  In fact, if one wasn't in a place where they fully understood His love, they'd think He was mad at them or something.  I think it's that "this is gonna hurt me more than it's gonna hurt you" thing.  Anyway, God's assignment sometimes leads us into places that are uncomfortable.  We may even lose friends and loved-ones in thse places.  But those seasons are planned by God to get us back on track.  He simply loves us too much to let our purposes go unfulfilled.

Today's text is hard to stomach.  While reading it, you can't help but think the children of Israel had taken all they could stand.  And is it just me, or were they always outnumbered?  Do you feel like you're always outnumbered.  It seems no matter what you do, the deck is always stacked against you.  Everything you try to do the right way seems to turn out wrong.  It makes you want to give up, doesn't it?  Zedekiah wanted to give up I'll bet.  Having your army desert you and then your children executed (just before they blind you) will make you want to do that.  But God always has a plan.  Let's face it, we're in a battle; a war even.  And there are things that will be lost in this battle.  Jesus told His disciples they'd be persecuted because of Him.  He even said he was sending them out as lambs to the slaughter.  But, they weren't slaughtered, were they?  They went through some trying times, but God was with them all the way.  You see, weeping may endure for a night, but joy will come up in the morning.

I know things looked bad in our passgae today, but please remember, God knows what He's doing.  And He'll do anything to get our attention.  We can't just live lives that disobey Him.  He's really jealous for us, you know.  I don't mean jealous in the way we think.  Our jealousy stems from coveting what another person has.  God, of course, doesn't need anything we have.  His jealousy, however, stems from wanting from us what's ALREADY HIS.  Which means He doesn't want us giving our love, devotion, and adoration to other people or things.  Those are tools of worship.  And our worship belongs to Him.  The children of Israel were in this position because they had become notorious for turning away from God.  So God often showed them what the life of a Godless nation was like.  Oppression and violence are the expectancy of a Godless nation.  Pain and heartache are the expectancy of a Godless nation.  What areas of your life can use more of Him?  I'll bet they're the areas where you experience the most pain and failure.  They are essentially the enemy's open access into your life. 

Finally, every season has an end.  If you'll just turn back to what God's original plan was for your life, you'll start seeing the sun again.  You'll immediately realize where you went wrong.  You're not meant to live a Godless life.  You need Him.  The good thing is, he wants You too.

Prayer:  Lord, carry me through these troubled times.  I give myself to You.  I yield to Your will.  Forgive me for going against Your holy Word.  This desire in me to please my flesh can only be supressed by Your presence.  So, give me more of You.  Give me more of Your heart.  I need You now more than ever...in Jesus' name. Amen 

No comments: