Another True Horror Story

Tuesday, October 26th, 2010

Today's Passage: Matthew 25: 31-46
Memory Verse: Matt. 25: 41

Ready for another horror story?  Imagine standing before the Father at the Great White Throne judgment.  You've spent all your Christian life serving on every committee possible. You've attended every church service except due to illness or death in the family.  You have the most impressive record for fundraising to help the church that's ever been seen.

And yet, when the Father calls the roll, your name is nowhere to be found.  In alarm, you tell the angel, "Check it again!" but alas, the Heavenly host is incapable of making any type of error possible.  As your disbelief turns into the fear of being completely separated from the Creator of all mankind, you fall trembling to your knees.  In a voice that is barely above a whisper, you ask for an explanation.

"Your kind is unknown here," you hear the beloved voice of God say with great sadness.  "All the deeds you performed were done with ulterior motives, not propelled by My love.".  
"But I did everything in and through Your Name", comes your shocked reply.  "You did everything for man's reward," comes the gentle response.  Even when I tugged at your heart, you brushed me off to pursue the praise of man.  You thought buying things for the needy was what they truly cried out for.  But what they hungered and thirsted for the most was ... ME."

But how can that be?  You... You tricked me, God!  My friends and I read this passage over and over again to be sure we got the details right!  We even named our ministry "The Least of These.".  How can You say I didn't give them what they needed?". " Because when they looked for my compassion, you had no patience for it.  You only had appointments and deadlines.  Although you did everything My Word told You exactly by the book, you only went through the 
Motions.  When I tried to get your attention in the middle of the night, you only took pills to drown  out My Still, small, Voice.  There was no room for. Me in a heart like yours , for it was filled with pride.  So as much as it pains Me to say it, DEPART from Me. I KNOW you NOT..."

Saints, for those of us who ARE serious about living for God all the way, I believe the twist to this story is that we may forget to live WITH Him.  The danger in doing God's Word lies in doing it to receive man's recognition.  Let's search our hearts and truly live to bring Him pleasure.

Prayer: Father, now more than ever before I desire to be intimate with You.  Shine Your light upon my deeds and the motives behind them as I strive to live for You.  Let my love be poured out for Your broken, remembering that You found me just like that.  Keep my heart forever Yours, filled with humility and compassion.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.          

No comments: