What Kind of Soil?

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010

Today's Passage: Matthew 13:3-23
Memory Verses: Mt. 13:11-12

Have you ever tried to have a conversation with someone about spiritual things, and found that it was as if you were talking to each other in two different languages? With all your heart, you try to make them understand the things of God that you've learned. But rather than receiving, they only use it as an opportunity to debate religious doctrine. Or they might only use your words against you in an effort to prove how much "holier than thou" you are.

I often wondered how this could be possible, especially if you and that person hear the same Word week after week. Then I read this passage and began to understand the spirit with which Jesus spoke this word. Now, before you're tempted to take offense, understand that Jesus was explaining this very same phenomenon about people who were present and heard Him preach. These may be hard words for some to hear, but in these last days, it's important that we ask them out loud.

Why is it that, over a period of time, there are some people in our churches who never seem to grow any deeper in the Word than a shrub? On the other hand, why are there others who seem to flourish like an oak tree within a short period of receiving the Word? Is there some secret side to God that favors certain ones for certain reasons? Is it really true that some people are destined to get everything God says they can have, while others never will no matter how they try?

I firmly believe, and know this from experience, that the only person who can support or destroy our own growth in the Word is OURSELVES. Now, as we respond to God's promises and show that we want more of Him, He responds with more. Why else would Jesus tell His disciples, "Whoever has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever doesn't have, even that which he has will be taken away"? So God IS watching to see who really wants to grow.

So, here's one more hard question. What kind of soil do YOU have? I can track my own spiritual progress almost to the day and date. I received Christ as my Saviour in 1991. But for many years, because I had no real intention of applying the Word to my life, I suffered many unnecessary trials as a result of making decisions apart from God. But around 2002, when I finally agreed to let His Word have the final say in my life, I began to see more fruit, and God began to trust me with more of His anointing. Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear.

Prayer: Father, Your Word is a treasure that brings my life its value. Thank You for Your Promise that if I hunger and thirst after it, I shall be rewarded with more. I come into agreement that I shall not only continue to be good soil, but I will also produce one hundred fold for the advancement of Your kingdom. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That should be the cry of all of our hearts; that we bear fruit and expand the kingdom of God. I dont wanna be a bench warmer!