Live Free!!!

Today's Passage: Galatians 5:1

Memory Verse: 1 Peter 2:15-16

Saturday March 13, 2010

Blessings, Friends & Lifers! I want to spend our time together talking about freedom. Yes, freedom. Why, you say? Because freedom is often misdefined by "our" culture or way of life. The world defines freedom as being exempt from restraint or control. They say it's the power to determine action without restraint. Well, what kind of person would you be if you were able to do whatever you wanted, when you wanted? For me this concept of freedom would not only be a bad idea, it'd be dangerous. How so? I would always choose whatever my flesh wanted. I'd literally be out of control. Wouldn't you? Think about where you were before Jesus saved you. Weren't you walking in this kind of "freedom", still you recognized you needed a savior?

1 Peter 2:15-16 says "This is the will of God, by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men- as free, yet not using freedom as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God". The will of God is for us to use freedom to be "bondservants" for Him. So we can't just do what we want, say what we want, and go where we want? I think not. You see, if I am a bondservant of God, then I have authority over the things that make me ignorant because He has authority over them. That's freedom!!! One of my favorite passages of scripture regarding this subject is Galatians 5:1. Paul encourages us to stand fast in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again in the yoke of bondage. Freedom is not making a choice (by the world's definition); freedom is taking authority. It's taking authority over addiction, depression, sexual immorality, and anger/unforgiveness. Basically, the only way to know true freedom is by making sure Jesus Christ is Lord of our lives. Only He can give us the power to walk away from the temptations of this world....for good!!!

I challenge you today to do a personal study on freedom and its benefits. I want you to understand that walking in freedom requires great responsibility, but yields even greater reward. The enemy has done well in decieving us into thinking sin is our only option. He makes us think we'll always be what we are because of our pasts. So even though we know we need to change, most of us don't make an effort to. That's the yoke of bondage Paul spoke of in Galatians. I tell you today that true freedom belongs to you. Not only is it attainable, it's....FREE! The price for your freedom has already been paid by Jesus Christ, the Son of God. So live free, my friends....'cause whom the Son sets free, is free indeed!

Prayer:
Father, I place myself in Your hands. I want to live free. Free from all the bondages that entangle me. I realize I don't have the power to release myself. That power only comes through You. So as I draw closer to You, let me walk in Your freedom more and more everyday. In Jesus' name...Amen!

1 comment:

Pastors Chris / Yassah Lee said...

Pastor Chris, like you I've begun to understand how important it is to "live free" daily. This means doing what it takes to get rid of the negative emotions that may threaten to keep me in bondage. Freedom is so much "freer" than being right or having the last say!