The Position of Praise

Friday, March 5th, 2010

Today's Passage: 2 Chronicles 20:18-25
Memory Verses: 2 Chronicles 20:22-23

Here's another movie scene for you: imagine you were among the 300 soldiers standing before the vast army of Xerxes with nowhere to retreat to. You know that death is certain, as you find yourself surrounded by thousands of enemies who are only awaiting their leader's command to attack. This is the climax of the epic movie of the Spartans, "300", which ends in the exact manner anyone would predict.

But here's the inspiring part of the film that reminds me of who we are as believers: even though they know they are about to die, those men stand tall and shout "Sparta" at the top of their lungs, declaring their loyalty for the army they serve with their last breath. And here's why we have every reason to praise God during every moment of whatever battle we're fighting.

In the passage, once Jehoshaphat receives confirmation that God is in control, he immediately begins to worship God. But he doesn't stop there; he appoints seasoned praisers to stand in position and carry out the purpose of exalting God even in the midst of their enemies. And as they continue to praise Him, that's when the soldiers begin to turn on one another and destroy each other.

Everytime I watch the movie "300", how I wish the ending could've been different for those courageous men. Just like it happened with Jehoshaphat's army, I wish angels would've appeared from out of the blue and killed every one of Xerxes' men. But boy, am I glad that we serve a God Who has promised to destroy our enemies when we stand boldly even in the heat of the battle and praise Him.

This is no fairy tale, saints. Praise works! It sends such confusion in the camp of the enemy that they are bound to lose track of you, especially when you do two things. First and foremost, believe in the Lord Your God, and you shall be established; secondly, believe his prophets (your pastors), and you shall prosper (v. 20). Third, as you allow the praisers that God has appointed to keep you in His presence, your enemies are sure to fall dead at your feet. Stand in the position of praise and see your enemies defeated today.

Prayer: Father, how can I thank You for making it possible for me to be victorious before my enemy? I am so grateful that You have made a way of escape for me no matter what battle I'm fighting today. I make a commitment to join with my pastors and praise leaders to shout out Your praise at all times. Thank You for the victory. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: