"What Is Your Deepest Fear?"

Friday, January 14th, 2011

Today's Passage: 2 Corinthians 4:1-7
Memory Verse(s): 2 Cor. 4: 7

Have you ever seen the movie "Coach Carter?"  Well, this movie is about so much more than basketball. One of the main lessons in it is that we all have and can reach our potential regardless of our circumstances. Throughout the movie, Coach Carter repeatedly asks one young man, a particularly hard case, “What is your deepest fear?" This young man has no idea what the coach is talking about, nor do any of the other players. The young man goes through a series of destiny- detouring obstacles that could have cost his very life, yet he perseveres.

 At the end of the movie, he comes to the coach and says something to this effect, “My deepest fear is not that I am inadequate; my deepest fear is that I am powerful beyond measure.". What a powerful statement! It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?” Actually, who are we not to be? We are children of God. Our playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around us. We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us. It is not just in some of us;it is in everyone. And, as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Have you ever held back in some area of your life because you were afraid of what others would say? Have you ever thought, I am not smart enough, good enough, wealthy enough? Or, perhaps you think you have made too many mistakes. None of this matters.  What matters is that we pursue our God- given destiny using the gifts, talents, and skills He has placed within us. Is everyone going to love and applaud us for being who God made us to be? Most certainly not. Will we be talked about and discouraged by others?  We almost certainly will. Nevertheless, for the few negative ones, there will twice as many that will support, encourage and be inspired by us. So, do not be afraid of your light.  Let it shine. Be the brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous person God intends you to be.

Prayer: Father, thank You for reminding me that You have placed greatness in me -- not so that I can walk in pride and feel like I'm better than everyone else, but so that Your glory can be revealed through me.  May my focus be to make You famous in everything I do -- especially in the way I shine for You.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.

By Sister Billie Barlow

No comments: