The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power

Good Friday, 2010

Today's Passage: John 19
Memory Verses: Isaiah 53:4-5

Every year about this time, we stop to focus on the painful details of Christ's death to make sure we never forget what He went through for us. I didn't think the crucifixion could be any more real until Mel Gibson's representation in The Passion of the Christ. So what do we do with what we know about how Christ died for us? How do we live so that His shed blood loses none of its value in our lives?

We live daily knowing that when Jesus said, "It is finished", He meant it with every drop of blood that was shed. Christ bled on the outside when he was scourged with the cat-o'-nine-tails. And for that, I can bring to Him my transgressions, asking for forgiveness with a contrite heart, and know that I will be forgiven and set free. But Christ was also bruised on the inside, signifying that my iniquity, the inward struggles and bondages the enemy has used against me through my ancestors, were also covered under the blood, and as I repent for them and break the contract, I will walk away completely delivered.

So today, when we remember what He did, let us do it with joy in our hearts that Jesus' blood is still strong enough to cover every sickness, every problem, every trial, every fear, and every attack from the enemy. That blood was so strong that, even while His body lay in that borrowed tomb, Christ was in the bowels of hell itself, snatching the authority over all principalities and powers from satan, and taking the sting of sin and the grave away from him. And now, we live even on our worst days with that toothless lion under our feet.

Arise, men and women of God, and take your place. Walk in that authority,and apply the blood as liberally as you need it. This Good Friday, be filled with the hope of the cross, and the truth of everything that was purchased for you. Let the rest of the world focus on bunnies and eggs and candy. Spend your time praising our God for ransoming us from the tyranny of sin and death. And let the rest of your lives be lived as a testimony to the awesome power of the blood.

Prayer: Father, words will never be able to express how in awe of You I remain, especially today. Only the thought of my freedom and that of the entire world could have stopped You from calling a host of angels to get Your Son off that cross. And am I grateful You didn't. I live to honor You forever. Thank You for giving me the greatest gift I could've ever received: eternal life wrapped up in victory here on earth. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: