Follow The Leader!!!

Today's Passage: Psalm 23:2
Memory Verse: Matthew 4:19

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hello, Friends & Lifers! Today's devotional takes me back to a game I played as a kid. The game was called 'Follow the Leader'. The object of the game was to do everything exactly the way the leader did, or else you were declared out and made to sit to the side and watch.

We were so good at 'follow the leader' as youth, but we seem to constantly fail at it as adults. Why? Now, it's not my intent to judge anyone as I have my own issues. I'm just saying if we were better followers of our leadership, our lives would be so much better, don't you think? If we truly followed our leaders, shouldn't our work ethic be like theirs? Shouldn't our prayer and study lives be like theirs? And shouldn't our homes and daily walk be like theirs? In Psalm chapter 23, David said "He makes me to lie down in green pastures and He leads me beside still waters...". He is describing God as a leader who, if we followed Him, would make sure we stayed in the safety and security of a full and nuturing environment as well as still, not raging, waters. This analogy is based on the fact that sheep can't swim. So, if a shepherd tried to lead them beside raging waters, they'd stray into the water and probably be killed. Shepherds who cared about their sheep meticulously sought out still waters that would be safe for drinking and/or crossing. Now fast forward to the New Testament. Jesus told the disciples to follow Him and He'd make them fishers of men. Jesus wanted them to know that following Him would not change their "person", it'd change their "purpose". That's the reason many of us have trouble following Him; we don't want to change. But the truth is, Jesus doesn't want to change you. He wants to change your purpose. If you're a dancer, He wants to change the purpose for which you're dancing. If you're a cook, or a poet, or a writer, or whatever, it's not Jesus' plan to have you give that up. He just wants you to do it for the "kingdom". The alternative to that is a lack of progression in our lives due to being "out of the game". Ever ask yourself why your life seems to be on hold? It may be because you forgot to follow God and/or your spiritual leader. You could be stuck on "out mode". The good news is because of God's grace you can always be "tagged"(touch from God) back in to start following again. In other words, if you find yourself out of the game, get back in as quickly as you can with a shout of praise and a prayer of repentance. It'll work for you, I promise.

I challenge you today to become a better follower. Knowing, by faith, that God wants the best for you is the only thing you need to stay in the game. I admonish you to stay under your spiritual covering as well. If that person is who God chose for you, link up with them and help push them forward. Serve them and pray for them. Don't fall into the temptation of rebellion and gossip if they have to make decisions you don't agree with. Someone told me once they left a ministry because they and the pastor "didn't see eye to eye". I told them it wasn't their place to see eye to eye with their leader. They should only see the "back of his/her head". They should have been behind them pushing forward, not in front of them pushing backwards. Stay under your covering and you'll always be beside green pastures and still waters. It's guaranteed, Baby!!!

Prayer:
Father, You are so worthy of my praise and adoration. I commit to follow You, and I'll never turn away again. Please continue to order my steps as I continue this journey by faith. I love You forever. In Jesus name.. Amen!

No comments: