Press Toward the Mark

Monday, April 5th, 2010

Today's Passage: Philppians 3:7-16
Memory Verses: Phil.3:14-15

Exercise. Discipline. Self-control. Words it seems I've always cringed at everytime I heard them. I've always wondered why, after being gung-ho about starting a new exercise regimen, my enthusiasm would dwindle in only a few days. Why is it that, after deciding to embark on a journey to better health, I can't seem to focus long enough to carry it out?

As I pondered these things,the Holy Spirit brought to my remembrance this passage. Paul tells how I can stay focused. First,I must have a GOAL: what do I want to accomplish with this regimen? Have I written a vision about it that I can refer to constantly so that I don't give up so easily? In addition to that, have I made a commitment to do something DAILY that will bring me closer to that goal? And even when it's hard, do I PRESS THROUGH, or do I just give up?

If you haven't seen the parallel already, here it is: if you struggle with keeping your focus on spiritual things, falling off track more often than not, what Paul has to say will help you today. What are you focusing on? Are you dwelling more on your failures of the past than you are on what Christ purchased for your future? What IS your goal for this Christian journey? Are you simply content with living from one day to the next, trying to stay under the radar so the devil doesn't mess with you? Or have you been given a revelation of your PURPOSE, and won't let anything or anyone stop you until you're walking in it?

Today, I encourage you to take a minute and focus on our mark: the goal of pursuing a relationship with Christ that grows closer and more intimate as time goes by. We can't waste time worrying about mistakes of the past. All we have the energy to do is give God our all with every waking moment. And what an awesome Coach/Trainer we've been given: the Holy Spirit is always there, whispering God's Word to remind us of Whose we are as well as what God wants us to be doing. So if you're in need of Someone to encourage you and keep you on track, depend on Him. Just as I've realized I have everything I need to be successful on my journey to better health, you as a believer have the same. Press toward your mark today.

No comments: