"Water, Water Everywhere"

Tuesday, April 27th, 2010

Today's Passage: John 4: 1-14
Memory Verse: Jn 4:10

Everyday as a teacher in the public school system, I'm amazed at how many resources have been made available to help students be more enthusiastic about learning. Coming from a West African country, the importance of education was stressed daily, but we were not exposed to so many manipulatives and computer programs which motivate stdents to be everything they can be. So when I see how students for the most part are nowhere near excited about learning, even with all that's available to them, it really breaks my heart. I do my best to remind them that somewhere else in the world, there are other students who would give anything to take their place.

Ever since I heard the expression "Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink", I always wondered how it was possible to be surrounded by water and yet be unable to drink it. Which brings us to today's message. Isn't that just what some of us are doing with our Christian walk? There's so much life, excitement, hope, and joy available in a real relationship with Christ. And yet we walk around, longing for those very things and thinking we can find them outside of Him.

Just like some of my students, we watch others dive into their walk with Christ and come up refreshed, but are content to settle for a mediocre life just beause we're unwilling to pay the price for more of Him. I challenge you today to never again be a person who remains on the outside looking in, thirsty for the Living Water while He's right in front of you. As soon as He manifests Himself to you, do exactly what the woman at the well did. Step -- no, run -- past your comfort zone to receive it, always keeping in mind that the enemy will not make it easy. But oh, how worth it it's going to be!

Prayer: Father, I see You daily stretching Your Hands to reach all Your children. You want to walk with us "in the cool of the day" like it was in the garden of Eden. And for fellowship with us, You offer joy unspeakable if we will only respond. So as I reach out to receive what I never deserved, I thank You from the bottom of my heart for the Living Water Jesus gives. Fill me to overflowing today, and I'll forever give You praise. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: