Running On Empty?

Friday, April 16th, 2010

Today's Passage: Psalm 23
Memory Verses: Ps. 23:5

My husband always gets onto me for not putting gas in my van. I don't know why, but it seems that I can remember to do everything else except refuel. I realize that I would hate for any of my planned daily activities to be interrupted because I ran out of gas. As a matter of fact, I find myself praying against the possibility that this would happen to me while I'm transporting my babies, or trying to get home from church at night. If you asked me why I continue to allow my vehicle, the very thing I need to get around, to go without gas, I couldn't for the life of me figure it out.

Although I am still working out my issues with procrastination (Pray for a sister, y'all -- LOL), the message we can get from this spiritually is unmistakeable. We love God, and we know that He has provided us with everything we need to get where He has ordained for us to go. However, we still find it so easy to spend so much time away from His Presence. We feel ourselves getting weaker, and we don't mean to, but we end up running on empty.

So how do we fight this tendency to avoid the very things we need from God? David shares with us his heart on the matter. He describes a relationship with God that is neverending; there is no separation from Him. There is never a time when I can consider myself independent from the One Whose breath keeps me alive. It would be the equivalent of me driving around with the gas pump literally attached to me so that I never risk running on empty. On the contrary, David says, "You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over" (Ps. 23:5).

Saints, such a relationship is possible. And not only that: it's available to each and every one of us. But it begins with an attitude that doesn't see God as an appointment on our calendar that we must reluctantly fill. He is our Source, the very air we breathe. Because of Him, we have a significance on this earth that would otherwise be nonexistent. And who wouldn't desire to be continually filled with a God like Him? When my van has the gas it needs, I'm not afraid to go to certain places. I'm not creeping around, wondering when I'll be coming to a complete halt in the middle of my destination. I boldly go as far as I want, knowing that no-one but my own stubborn self can get in my way.

Today, let David's words compel you to seek a more fulfilling relationship with God. May you never have to creep around, afraid to pursue your destiny because you think it's too hard for you. Drink deeply of the fountain of life springing up in your soul as the Father causes your cup to overflow everyday.

Prayer: Father, I'm so grateful for that relationship with You that guarantees me a continuous refreshing. Thank you for rescuing me from that person I used to be who knew I needed You but tried to pursue my dreams without You. Fill me today. Let Your anointing overflow from my life into every place my foot treads, so that You can forever get the glory. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

1 comment:

B.MILTON said...

WOW! THAT IS ONE OF THE WORST FEELINGS IN THE WORLD. TO BE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD BECAUSE YOU RAN OUT OF GAS. SPIRITUALLY THE SAME.