The Stronghold of Rebellion

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Today's Passage: 1 Samuel 15:1-28
Memory Verses: 1 Sam. 15:22-23

Our baby son has taught me more about rebellion towards God than I ever thought possible. That child will sit or stand in front of you with a straight face, listen to you tell him specifically what you want or don't want him to do, and say, "Yes, ma'am". Then, a few short minutes later, you'll find yourself asking him, "Did you not hear what I just told you NOT to do?" He usually ends up losing his video game privilege, something he absolutely loves to do. Here's the question I've quit asking him, though: "Why did you do it when you KNEW I told you not to?" The main reason why I don't anymore is because I didn't want to come face to face with the reasons I rebel against my Heavenly Father.

Rebellion is the act of turning away from the heart of the Father, knowing full well what His commands -- and the consequences for disobedience -- are. In this passage, we see that Saul was given specific instructions for defeating the Amalekites: destroy them all, including humans and animals. They performed half of what they were told to do, but left the best of the animals alive. According to the Bible, they were "unwilling to destroy them" (1 Sam. 15: 9).

Which brings us to the heart of the matter concerning rebellion. It's such a stronghold in the lives of believers because, when it comes to completely obeying God in a certain area, we're unwilling to do so because we allow our five senses (which greatly impact our mind, will, and emotions), to speak louder than the voice of God. Somehow, we are deceived into thinking that we know better than God what we need. But all we end up doing is disappointing God by sending him the message that we don't trust His ability to protect and know what's best for us.

So, in what area are you struggling to completely obey God? Understand that, just as it disappoints you and forces your child to be exposed to consequences, the same happens to your heavenly Father. The more we rebel, the greater the consequences. Saul consistently rebelled against God, ultimately losing the kingdom. The cure for rebellion is OBEDIENCE at all costs. Search your heart and begin the journey towards uprooting rebellion today.

Prayer: Father, Your ultimate desire is for me to accomplish everything You have planned for my future. Because of this, I desire to please You in every way. Please forgive me for the times I've gone my own way, thinking I knew better. Give me the grace to walk in faithful obedience daily. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: