Thank God for that Upbringing!!!

Monday, November 22nd, 2010

Today's Passage: 2 Timothy 1:1-6
Memory Verse: Proverbs 22:6

In a world of so much rebellion against God, where so many seem content to do and say their own thing, it's refreshing to know that many more have not bowed their knee to the god of this world.  Which gets me wondering what the background of these devoted may have been.
How did they grow up, and how did that help them become the godly men and women we see today?

I remember my own upbringing as a religious one.  We were Lutherans, and my parents were devout Christians.  Consequently, we were in church everyday, which is how I fell in love with singing.  But what really sticks out in my mind is the way my parents found time to have devotions with us.  The Word was read, with lots of singing in between, and we would kneel and pray to this God that I love so much today.

The Word tells us to train up a child in the way he should go, so that when he is old, he will not depart from it.  And so there's no wonder that when I became older and came face to face with right and wrong, I knew what I was doing was wrong without having to be told.  Although I didn't remember much of what we had read in those nightly devotions, I did remember feeling how disappointed in me God was for not living right.

So for those of you who were raised like me to fear God and His ways, pause with me and say a prayer of thanks for the ones -- parents, Sunday school teachers, and anyone else who played a part in making us sensitive to the things of God without even being aware of their impact.   It also gives me a deep desire as a Sunday school teacher myself to do everything I can to impact children with the gospel of Jesus Christ.  If you and I are any evidence of this, it's safe to say that the impact of whatever seeds are sown will continue to be felt for years to come.  Thank God for our godly foundation!!!

Prayer: Father, thank You with all my heart for drawing me to You from my childhood.  You knew whom You would use to plant the seeds.  As they sprouted over the years, sometimes threatening to be destroyed, You never wasted a moment in worry.  You simply watched over my life and ordered my steps to find my way to You.  I'm just glad You didn't give up on me.  May I continue to plant my own seeds in the lives of others who will also be raised up to bring You glory.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.  

No comments: