This Life is Better!!!

Sunday September 5, 2010

Today's Passage: 1 Peter 4:3-5
Memory Verse: Same

I had the chance to talk to an old friend this weekend.  This guy was a good friend during a tough time in my life.  He was the kind of friend you'd find it hard to walk away from you know?  It seems friends like these are few and far between.  He seemed to always be there when it was time to party, or miss classes, or skip rehearsal.  And he was always there with the next drink, or to point me toward the next girl.  It was always something with this guy.

Anyway, as we talked on the phone, I couldn't help but think how depressing it was that he was still living that way.  It didn't phase him to hear how the Lord had so awesomely changed my life.  He wasn't moved by the testimony that brought me from infidelity to total devotion.  He went on about all the fun he was having, and how a life like mine sounded boring.  If we were to keep it real, we'd have to admit that our flesh would have no problems lining up with that philosophy.  I mean, he sold that life of sin like a pro.  He was so good, I almost questioned who in fact was doing the living.  However, as soon as that quick lapse of thought was over, I began to offer revelation on the part of his life the devil wasn't showing him.  You see, he was reluctant to tell me about the small apartment he was stuck in because he lost his home in the divorce.  He talked about all the money he made, but he didn't talk about what little money he brought home because of all the child support and alimony he paid.  Now listen, I'm not dumping on or judging this guy.  I'm just making the comparison he started with me.  Remember, he said my life in Christ was boring, mundane, lifeless.  He asked me why I was "living like an old man".  So I'm just trying to see where he really has it so good.  I'm glad I'm done with that life.  My heart breaks for my friend.  I so want God to arrest his heart so he can get to know who God really is.  1 Peter 4:3-5 (Mess.) says "You've already put in your time in that God-ignorant way of life, partying night after night, a drunken and profligate (shamelessly immoral) life.  Now it's time to be done with it for good.  Of course, your old friends don't understand why you don't join in with the old gang anymore.  But you don't have to give an account to them.  They're the ones who will be called on the carpet- and before God Himself". 

So My Friends,  let's continue to look forward and live for God.  We all have friends and family members who remember us for who we "were" not who we "are".  We have to be able to bless them and stay with the teaching we've been entrusted to.    There's nothing back there for us; not one thing to remember, or recover.  I think I'll stay with God, and you should too.

Prayer:  Thank You Father for saving me.  You showed me that my life is so much better with You.  Please help me show Your love to old friends or family members who don't know You.  Your love and favor is better than life itself.  I love You. Amen

No comments: