A Place to Belong!

Monday September 27, 2010

Today's Passage: Ephesians 2:19 (LB)
Memory Verse: Romans 12:4-5 (Mess.)

I had an interesting time in church today.  After praise & worship (which was awesome), I left the stage with the band and came back into the sanctuary through the back.  Before going to my seat, I stood there a while looking over the congregation.  I don't really know what I was looking for, I was just looking.  Just then, the Holy Spirit said a strange thing to me.  He said "They need a place to live...a place to call home".  Wow!  God has an awesome way of speaking into our spirits.  I instantly started to pray because I wanted to clearly understand what was said.

From my best spiritual perspective (which may not be saying very much), I believed God was saying He wants His children to come into His house and feel like they belong; like they're at home.  Not long after some people join our churches, they soon leave because they fail to find that "place of connection".  This happens because: 1) They forget to avail themselves to the growth process (discipleship, service, special ministry [men's or women's]).  And 2) The church can be so taken with evangelism "outside" the walls, that it fails to make connections "inside" the walls.  God says when a child comes home, he or she should feel safe, loved, and accepted.  He said if they don't, they become insecure, malnourished, and feel unwanted.  I think sometimes we as leaders have to look at ourselves when God's children are not responding to His word the way they should.  In Ephesians 2:19 (Living Bible), Paul writes "You are members of God's very own family, citizens of God's country, and you belong in God's household with every other Christian".  That should be posted on the wall in every Christian church in the world.  You know how you walk into churches and see  "One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, or the picture of Jesus holding the lamb on the wall behind the pulpit?  Those things are great, but what if you saw Ephesians 2:19 on the wall while being greeted with a smile and a hug?  I know I'd be thinking "I think I'm gonna be okay here".  

We are created for community, fashioned for fellowship, and formed for a family.  None of us can fulfill God's purposes by ourselves.  You are called to belong, not just believe.  When you think about it, membership in the family of God is not a small thing.  It's actually God's plan for savng the world.  So we have to make sure we attend our church services with minds to connect.  The old model is to come to church with our immediate family members, sing a few songs, say a few hellos, and leave.  But God wants us to get rid of the old way of doing things.  He wants us to reach beyond our personal borders and boundaries to make sure we're making His children feel comfortable at home. 

Prayer: Father I'm so glad You love me enough to call me Your son.  The lengths You've gone through to prove Your love to me is overwhelming.  Now, my desire is to share that love with those I worship with.  Give me Your eyes so I can see where Your love is needed most.  And I'll try not to let You down....in Jesus' name. Amen  




  

No comments: