No Slaves Here!

Saturday September 4, 2010

Today's Passage: 1 Peter 4:1-2
Memory Verse: Matthew 6:33

I spent the day with Yassah yesterday trying to get her ready for a trip home to funeralize our Mother.  Yesterday was also my birthday, so having to do things seemingly outside the norm made for a strange day.  On the way home from the INS office, she apologized for our having to be there on my birthday.  Her comment was "this wasn't what I wanted for you today".  Whereas I understood what she was saying, I knew this was an unusual circumstance.  Although it was my birthday, it was more important to me to be with her to make sure she got what she needed for this trip.  So I wasn't uncomfortable at all.  As a matter of fact, the peace in my spirit came even more when the Lord said to me "we can't always be slaves to what we want". 

In life we all have good and bad days.  But what if the kind of day we had was determined by our perception?   Have there been days we've labeled bad just because we didn't get what we wanted?  I'm sure.  I'm sure we've also described days we've gotten everything we wanted as the 'best days of our lives'.  We have to understand when we have this kind of mentality, it opens the door for the enemy to manipulate us and take control of our emotions.  The first mistake we make is not identifying the difference between what is wanted and what is needed.   So the line between what should and shouldn't be allowed into our lives get blurred.  When that happens, we become slaves of what we want instead of producers of what we need.  I know the word slave may be a little strong but its appropriate.  Have you ever been around someone who "wanted" everything they saw?  They wanted things they couldn't even use.  They wanted things they, until recently, didn't even like.  Isn't that slavery?  The 'tyranny of want' can control you emotionally and financially.  In time, we become willing to sacrifice anything (including the will of God) to get what we want.  1 Peter 4:1-2 (Mess.) says "Since Jesus went through everything you're going through and more, learn to think like Him.  Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way.  Then you'll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want".  Praise God for His word!  God says we can live free to seek out what He wants, instead of being slaves to what we want.  The irony of that is God wants the same things for us that we want for ourselves.  He wants us to have health, prosperity, love, joy and peace.  The difference is He wants those things to come by Him, instead of them revolving around us.

So I challenge you to live free from your wants and seek the Lord.  Have faith in God.  He won't let you down.  If you seek His kingdom before seeking anything else, He'll add whatever you need to your life before you'll even know to ask for it.  So trust Him!!!

Prayer:   Father I realize my ways aren't Your ways and my thoughts aren't Your thoughts.  With that being said, I will trust You more with the needs of my life.  No more will I lean on my own understanding of things.  I will seek You wisdom in everything I do.  Whether it be jobs or relationships, I will seek Your counsel before I move.  You deserve that authority in my life, so I give it to You, in Jesus' name. Amen

No comments: