The Only Way

Friday, September 10th, 2010

Today's Passage: John 10: 1-18
Memory Verse: John 14:6

When I was younger, there used to be a commercial on television warning people against unsafe driving.  I remember the announcer coming on with these words: "We all want to go to Heaven, but how many of us want to go now"?  Over the years, I forgot the details of the commercial, but the part about us all wanting to go to Heaven always stuck with me.

I agree that we all do like the idea of a divine destination where there is freedom from all the things we're exposed to here on earth.  But if you've ever been at an airport or theme park, you may have noticed those walking escalators that help people get to their destinations a little faster.  I wonder how effective a person would be if he or she got on one of those in the hopes of getting to a plane or one of the parks, but instead of going in the proper direction, they went the opposite way just because they wanted to exercise their freedom.

It would be just as ridiculous if someone got in his or her car, then turned into oncoming traffic. I might add, it would be just as DEADLY.  Friends, no matter what you hear about eternity, there really is only ONE way to the Father Who has prepared a place for us.  You can't do things your way and then expect to enjoy the benefits of anything on this earth.  What makes us think it will be that way for Heaven?

In John chapter 10, Jesus describes Himself as the Door, and then as THE ONLY Way to God.  If you have chosen a certain religion, perhaps because it promises great benefits without much sacrifice, you may want to re-consider the Christian faith.  I know everyone is free to make his or her own choices, but if I were trying to get somewhere and the vehicle I was using was going in the wrong direction, I'd want to know.  And if you've already accepted Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for your sins, share that message with someone today.  Eternity is nearer than we think.

Prayer: Father, for as long as I live, I'll never be able to say thank You enough for what You paid through Jesus to purchase my salvation.  Help me walk in that salvation, being the example and witness You desire me to be.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.    

No comments: