Who You Gonna Call?

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Today's Passage: Psalm 91:14-16 (Message)
Memory Verse: Psalm 91:1-2 (NKJV)

Sometimes things happen in our lives that are so spiritually bizarre we don't know who to call.  Normally we'd call this person for prayer, or that person to sharpen us, but when something comes our way that totally takes us by surprise, we're often powerless to reach out to anyone. 

Remember the movie 'Ghostbusters'?  I know it was a long time ago.  But it's relevant.  When the ghosts started wreaking havoc on the city, all the people who normally responded to emergencies were at a loss.  They didn't know what to do or who to call.   The police, FBI, and the Army were as perplexed as the citizens when it came to figuring out what to do about the attack.  Sometimes we're up against spiritual things we've never battled before.   Things we didn't expect, or things we didn't know were part of us seem to always surface when we begin to grow in God.   Making "The Turn" (get the DVD from Sunday 6/13) will cause things to come against us we've never had to fight before.  But there's always Someone we can call.  Flash back to our movie.  The people in the city found out there was an elite group of people who called themselves 'Ghostbusters'.  They had knowledge and equipment the police didn't.  They had strategies and tactics the Army never dreamed.   They were the only group of people who weren't 'scared of no ghost' (sorry).  Several scenes later, the 'Ghostbusters' destroyed all the ghosts and the city was free.  Also, because of what they had done, they went from being an obscure group of ordinary men, to being famous throughout the city.   The whole city had a parade and a party for them and hailed them as heroes.

So if I'm talking to you today I ask you: "Who you gonna call?"  Psalm 91:14-16 says "If you'll hold on to Me for dear life," says God, "I'll get you out of any trouble. I'll give you the best of care if you'll only get to know and trust Me. Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times; I'll rescue you, then throw you a party. I'll give you a long life, give you a long drink of salvation!"  God is your hero.  He's already saved the day for you.  Just cling to Him for dear life and you'll be in the best of care.  Besides, who can take care of you better than God, your boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife, or Mom/Dad?   He can provide things for you before you know you need them.  And the better news is His favor is for life, my Friends.  So remember, you are never alone and you are not powerless.  The Most High is with you every step of the way.  He's waiting for you to call out to Him.  He wants you take hold of Him and never let go.  And when he frees you from your trouble, come to Abundant Life where we'll throw Him a party and help you make Him famous.  I know who I'm gonna call from now on, do you?

Prayer: Thank You, God, for always being there for me.  You are truly my Hero.  Cover me in Your love and care as I cling to You with all my might.  I know I cannot live this life without You.  You are my
purpose and my desire.  Let me be one with You for the rest of my days.   In Jesus' name...Amen!

No comments: