The Ultimate Father II

Tuesday, June 15th, 2010

Today's Passage: Psalm 68:1-6
Memory Verses: Ps. 68:5-6

My father was the greatest.  When I was a child, I remember him as a jovial person, always cracking jokes, whistling, and talking in a singsong voice.  Everytime I turned around, he was tickling me and making me laugh.  By no means was he a perfect man, but when I stop to think about the impressions I developed of him over the years, the moments that remain with me are mostly of him laughing.  Even when he had to discipline me, it was done in a manner that was objective and not as if he were trying to hurt me. 

When I became older, my relationship with my father changed from one of nurturing to one where he was teaching me to be prepared for the world.  But even then, I knew that his ultimate desire was to see me succeed.  Later on, when I began thinking about my future and who I might want to spend my life with, the first thing I realized was that I wanted a man who didn't take life too seriously -- much like my dad.

How does this picture tie in with today's passage?  The day I found out my father had passed, I felt this void that I never thought would ever be filled.  I'd had dreams of becoming successful in the United States so that I could bring my father to this country, away from the guns and fear, just so I could see his smile and hear his jokes again.  I felt uncovered.  Even though I had a relationship with God at that time, it was hard to see Him the same way I saw my dad.  So when I read this passage a few years later, it hit me that God had been the source of joy and more for me even in my deepest moments of sorrow.  He'd sent me my husband, who reminded me so much of my father because I'd never laughed so much since my childhood.  Who else would be so concerned about me getting back my laugh but a Father Who was there  to watch me grow?

This passage speaks a lot about our joy -- and gives us an idea about the fact that He's concerned about our wellbeing.  He knows that joy in Him is where our strength comes from to deal with the trials and problems of life.  And when we praise Him, we're able to receive exceeding joy -- literally as if He were telling heavenly jokes into our spirits that make it impossible for depession, fear, and sorrow to remain.  After the heartache of going through the war and losing my father, my Heavenly Father made it so easy to laugh by giving me a man my earthly dad would've been so proud of.  If you've lost your father, let Him be everything you're missing.  He's the One Who created you, and He knows all about you.  Trust the Father that He is, and know that everything you need has already been provided.  He is the ultimate Father --already there for the fatherless.

Prayer: Father, thank You for knowing what I needed in a dad.  You are my joy now, and You have filled the void in my heart.  I know You to be a Father to those who have none, and I pray that I am a daughter You can be proud of.  Use me and get Your glory out of my life.  In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments: