Positioned for Greatness

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Today's Passage: Mark 10:35-45
Memory Verses: Mk 10: 43-45

Many years ago, I had this notion that once you became saved, you were now considered "great" in God's eyes, "the head and not the tail". I thought that somehow whatever your gifting was involved you standing before a multitude of people, ministering and being seen. Then I came to Abundant Life Ministries, and everything I ever thought I knew about greatness was changed. I saw my pastors cleaning along with everyone else, and doing whatever it was that needed to be done for God's house to be ready for His service to go forth.

I guess that's why God included this passage in His book. He wanted those of us who call ourselves His children to be mindful not to get this warped attitude about "greatness". The greater you want to be in God's kingdom, the more willing you should be to serve others. Jesus Himself was the greatest example of servant leadership that there is. From the moment His ministry was launched, He set about serving others -- always healing, always teaching, always listening, and pointing the way to His Father's heart. He even went so far as to wash His disciples' feet just to show them what the true position of greatness was.

This morning, as you prepare to enter your house of worship, examine your mentality of greatness. Are you one of those who feels as though you've been saved for others to cater to you? Have you placed yourself on the altar of "it's all about me, my needs, and that's all I see"? If so, I admonish you to ask for God to show you His heart on the matter. The kingdom of God needs you to stand up and show your greatness by contributing to the building of His kingdom WHEREVER YOU'RE NEEDED.

For those of you who've caught on to the vision of true greatness, you may never receive any recognition or thanks on this side of heaven. But know that every act of service you render in the name of the Lord is being observed, recorded, and set up for reward. I speak strength to you for your tireless effort to be there when help is needed, and I praise God for your willingness to be used. Don't forget to spend time in His presence, because that's the one thing Jesus came away from everyone else to do. But when He fills you back up, get back into the field and keep working until you can see evidence of God's presence on everything you touch. Serve on, my brothers and sisters. That is true greatness.

Prayer: Father, fill me today and give me strength to reach outside of myself and serve others. You gave me the most wonderful example of being great: Your Son. If He hadn't given me all He had, I'd be lost today. So I give all I have to point the way to you for others to see, and I count it a privilege. Use me today and everyday. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: