Be Content

Friday August  12, 2011

Today's Passage: Philippians 4
Memory Verse: Psalms 23:1 (Mess)

If you were to take inventory of your life, what would your final assessment be?  Would you say you have enough?  Would you say you need more of this or more of that?  Would you say life's been good, or a series of messes?  I'll venture to say from any angle you look at it, the "good" or "bad" in your life had a purpose.  And whether it served its purpose or not is based on your perception.

How can a wealthy man say "I have nothing"?  How can a mother say "I have no accomplishments"?  These things happen because people assess their lives through the world's perspective.  Truth is, anything achieved outside the will of God is fleeting.  Meaning, the emotionality that comes from it doesn't last long.  A friend of mine got a new car for Christmas back when we were in high school.  Before driving it, he'd just stare at it and say "This is all I ever wanted".  Less than 2 years later, he was kicking it, yelling at it, and trying to get rid of it. God warns us about placing our hopes in temporal things.  He wants us to be content.  It hurts Him when we assess value to our lives only when we acquire worldly things.  In our passage, Paul told the Philippians "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am to be content".  In my opinion, that statement freed Paul from the world's economic labels.  Paul's faith told him there is no rich and no poor, only contentment with whatever God provides.  If we buy into the labels, we'll soon make them our strive and passion.  We'll ignore God's holy plan for man's wealthy plan.  We'll lose sight of the fact that God will give us the power to gain wealth, if we'll completely trust Him.  So it's not a sin to believe God for more.  God wants you to prosper in life.  He doesn't want you to need.  We just have to understand God gives us what we need at the time we need it.  There's no need to be impulsive.  If you want a spouse, God knows and will provide.  Wait for Him.  If you need more money, God knows and will provide.  Wait for Him.  His plan will bring financial prosperity without the sorrow.  So, be content with where you are and what you have.  Afterall, if the Lord is your shepherd......you don't need a thing!

Prayer: Father I thank You for the excellent way You take care of me.  I have learned to be 'content with the manna".  Forgive me for the times I've complained and not appreciated You.  From now on, I'll treat You like the Shepherd and provider You truly are, in Jesus' name. Amen

No comments: