Great Expectations

Saturday, July 16th, 2011

Today's Passage: Matthew 8: 5-13
Memory Verse: Matt. 8: 9-10

God ministers to all of us in the areas that touch our hearts the most. For some, it may be nature. For others, it may be the things He's allowed them to possess. In my case, it's my children and my role as a teacher. I often hear myself say certain phrases to my kids and students that immediately reverberate through my spirit as something the Lord has been trying to get me to understand.

We've all said this to our kids at one time or another: "Why do you keep asking the same questions over and over? Didn't I tell you I would get you what you asked for? Don't ask me again." When we promise our children that we're going to take them on vacation, for example, it's amazing how often they want to ask and talk about it. They want to know every detail. "What's the house going to look like that we're going to? How big is the pool? How long are we going for?" (They already know it's for a week, but of course they just want to hear us say it again).

As a parent, I know that it's the heartfelt desire of my husband and me to give our children good gifts. They work hard, and they're obedient to us. Every chance we get, we want to bless them. It's not even a question of "if"; it's when it's going to happen. So when I approach God with my shopping list, He reminds me that if God is truly Who He says He is in my life, nothing will stop Him from getting to me what He promised. This was the case with the centurion's faith. He knew Jesus could heal, but experience told him that all He had to do was command it, and it would be so. When he shared this statement with Jesus, the Bible says Jesus was stunned. Obviously, He hadn't encountered anyone among His own people who even came close to believing that miracles worked this way.

Now it's our turn. Today, let's make a commitment to astound God by having such great expectation of what He's going to do that we pull on the heavens in a mighty way. Faith is what moves God-- not our whining, not our doubt, and certainly NOT our fear. It's time to take Him completely at His Word for miracles of EVERY kind -- and let's watch Him move on our behalf like never before.

Prayer: Father, I, too am under authority. I say to my children that they can have what they ask if they only trust me. So I'm putting a demand on Your anointing for miraculous things happening nit only at my church but in Your kingdom as a whole. All You have to do is speak it and it's done. Have Your way, Lord. In Jesus' mighty Name, Amen.

No comments: