Daddy Knows best

Friday, July 15th, 2011

Today's Passage: 1 John 5: 1-15
Memory Verse: 1 John 5: 3

What was your relationship with your earthly father? Mine was wonderful. I remember the way my father's pleasant personality and positive attitude made everyone want to be around him. From the moment we woke up, I could hear Daddy whistling as he got ready for his day. There was just something warm and special about having him around. When my older siblings' friends came to the house, you couldn't help bursting out into laughter just from hearing him make them laugh.

But when it came time for just his time with me, I had his full attention. He loved tickling me, and I absolutely loved sitting in his lap. Even when my parents had company, I never felt like he was far away. So whenever he had to discipline me, it ripped me to the core because I knew I was disappointing him. It was always easier for me to understand why he had to chastise me than when my mom did it. Now that I'm a mom, I see that I gave my mom a hard time when it came to appreciating all she tried to protect me from. But never once did I question that my father loved me and only wanted the best for me when he told me no, or had to punish me for something I did.

Our Heavenly Father is no different. He loves us more than words can say. He takes wonderful care of us, and withholds no good from us. So when it comes time for us to abide by His standards, as today's passage suggests, His commandments are not bothersome. We know that deeply embedded in every command is His great love for us and desire to protect us from the enemy. This is the part where your faith must kick in. When Satan tries to plant thoughts of frustration and disloyalty towards God's ways, your faith must combat those thoughts.

Everytime Daddy God says "no", He's protecting us. Everytime we have to wait, He's preparing us for something greater. Like that time when I was sixteen, and my current boyfriend decided he was ready to be my husband. You can imagine how relieved I am that my dad didn't agree to THAT crazy idea! That's why your faith has to be that high-voltage, barbed wire fence against the enemy's wiles. And when you live with the mindset that Daddy knows best, you truly learn to be the conqueror that we were created to be.

Prayer: Father, who am I that You are so mindful of me? Thank You for being so faithful in providing the covering that You give me daily. In You, I am truly complete. I embrace Your will and plan, and willingly surround myself with Your commands. Because I love you, I shall keep Your commands. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: