It's All Him!

Thursday, September 29th, 2011

Today's Passage> Luke 10:17-24
Memory Verse> Luke 10:20

Remember when Jesus came riding into the city on the back of that donkey?  People were laying down palm branches and clothing and shouting 'Hosanna' as He passed by.  Question: do you think there was a moment when that donkey thought all that stuff was for him?  Of course not.  How foolish would that be?  That thought immediately comes to mind when I've been asked how I know the enemy will flee when I tell him to.

I know myself quite well.  Therefore, I can say with assurance that I am NOTHING without the Lord.  I don't have enough intelligence, might, or power (authority), to move anything on my own.  So whenever I win a spiritual battle, I never have to remind myself of the fact that I won by God's authority, not mine.  As a matter of fact, I'm the donkey (or the palm branch even).  When we engage the enemy we can't see what he sees.  Because what he sees will astound and humble us.  It's like the Lion King when Simba was trying to roar at the hyenas.  Remember how cute his lil' growl sounded? The hyenas were laughing hysterically at him.  But, when Simba opened his mouth the last time, his father, who had been standing behind him, roared.  It paralyzed the hyenas with fear.  That's what happens when we encounter the enemy.  The devil may be looking at us, but he sees God.  Our passage drives this point home in verse 20.  It says "All the same, the great triumph is not in your authority over evil, but in God's authority over you.  Not what you do for God, but for what God does for you". 

So, how do I know if we engage the enemy he will go?  Well, if the spirit of the Living God is not living inside of me, I don't know.  Without Him, I have no authority to cast out demons, or tread upon serpents.  Without Him, my marriage has no chance of surviving a demonic attack; and I am powerless to break addictions.  In contrast, wherever He is, His authority is also.  So, if I allow Him to live within me, His authority lives within me.  In that, I'm free from the fears that others have.  I'm allowed to be confident in the fact that the enemy can't harm me.  Now that I think about it, it's futile to fight a spiritual battle without God.  How do you devise strategy without Him?  How do you know when to pray, or what to pray?    I encourage you to position yourself for God's using.  Engage the enemy with everything you got.  Why?  Well, because greater is He who is within you, than he who is in the world.  The devil will flee because you'll open your mouth, but he'll hear God's roar.  And as you come toward him, he'll hear God's footsteps.  Remember, we don't win because of who we are.  We win because of whose we are.  I'll take that......will you?

Prayer: Father, I thank You for Your strong arm of victory.  You've delivered Your people from some harsh experiences.  You've demonstrated that You are the undisputed Champion of our lives.  Forgive me for going into battle without You.  Forgive me for leaning on my own understanding.  Live inside us so we can have victory time and time again, in Jesus' name.  Amen

No comments: