It's Not Where You're From....

Tuesday December 14, 2010

Today's Passage: Luke 2:4-7
Memory Verse: Luke 2:6

People often ask whether anything good can come out of the town we live in.  Most of the time, their motives for asking usually indicate the answer is nothing.  There seems to be a mark of failure or ignorance on anyone who dare say they're associated with this town.  Now let's be real, there's plenty of evidence that shows this town is way behind in economic growth, social relevance, and acceptance of cultural diversity.  People from bigger cities visit here and marvel at how we seem to find living here possible.  But if greatness is in you, does it really matter where you were born?  And does it really matter what your harvest field is?

I'm reminded of Jesus' birth.  I think it's clear that Jesus had greatness in Him.  His purpose for coming was to save us and restore us back to the heart of the Father.  But look at where greatness was born.  The Bible says "Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, in Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be registered with Mary, his betrothed wife who was with child.  So it was, while they were there, the days were completed for her to be delivered.  And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn."  No room?  No room  for the person coming to save us? 

Some of you were born in some harsh circumstances.  Maybe your parents didn't have money, or you were conceived in a relationship that was forbidden.  Maybe you were born in a town that was low economically, or where std's were acquired more easily than IRA's.  If so, it doesn't matter.  God had you born and/or placed there for a purpose.  Just because Jesus was born in a barn doesn't mean He was destined to be doomed.  He didn't let His begining, dictate His ending.  He spent His life forging ahead towards God's plan.  So I ask you, can anything good come out of this town?  I say yes because......you did!

Prayer:  Father I thank You for allowing me into Your presence.  You are my hope and my peace.  As I seek communion with You, show Me Your plan for me.  Show me where You want me to go.  Point me toward the place where You want Your glory on display.  I'm anxious to be Your handy work.  Use me as You see fit, no matter where I'm from.  In Jesus' name....Amen

No comments: