Acknowledge God

Saturday, December 11th, 2010

Today's Passage:
Memory Verse:

Every now and then, I catch a few minutes of a television show called "I Shouldn't Be Alive.". I say a few minutes because I'm not really crazy about watching people defy so many odds and live.  Every time I see that show, I marvel at the ways human beings are able to escape death.  But something else amazes me even more than the things these people do to stay alive: the way they manage to ignore the fact that Someone, not luck or chance, kept them alive.

One particular episode of this show told the story of a man who had been sky-diving with his friends and ended up in the middle of the ocean.  After being stung by jellyfish and treading water for 13 hours, when he thought he was really going to die, along came a log from apparently out of nowhere for him to float on until he was rescued a few hours later.  And yet, on the other side of his ordeal, could he not bring himself to acknowledge that the God of the universe found a way to get a log to him in the middle of the ocean?

As irritating as that may seem to us, how many times do we neglect to acknowledge God as the Source of all that we need?  How many mornings, noons, and nights do we go without so much as a "Thank, You, Lord" or a "I need You, Lord"?  Most times, I think we really believe we can make some moves without Him.  Then, when we fall flat on our faces (because the enemy capitalizes on our mistake of leaving God out), we call out to Him, expecting to be rescued.

I love God's promise for today.  He says, 
Proverbs 3:5 (MSG)
"Trust ME from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for MY voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; I'M the one who will keep you on track. Don't assume that you know it all. Run to ME! Run from evil! Your body will glow with health, your very bones will vibrate with life! Honor ME with everything you own; give ME the first and the best. Your barns will burst, your wine vats will brim over. But don't, dear friend, resent MY discipline; don't sulk under MY loving correction."

If it's the correction we're running from, let's stop selling ourselves short.  God's covering comes with that.  When we seek Him first, we're saying, "God, show me how to do this the right way.  I don't want to do it my way anymore".  Watch your life change as you change the way you acknowledge the Father.

Prayer: Father, I repent for neglecting to acknowledge You.  Help me seek Your Voice always, for correction as well as for direction.  My life belongs to You always.  I purpose to acknowledge You first, next, and last --every day that I live.  In Jesus' Name, Amen. 
 

No comments: