The Value of Wisdom

Tuesday, March 1st, 2011

Today's Passage: 1 Kings 2 chapters 1,  2, and 3
Memory Verse(s): Proverbs 3:13-14 

Ten years ago, if asked the question "how would I answer if God told me I could ask for whatever I wanted", there would be no hesitation: I was convinced at that time that millions of dollars could solve my problems as well as those of everyone around me.  But now that I'm older (and wiser), I can also say without hesitation that I wouldn't be so quick to say that today.  Why?  Because, as the Word says, money does answer all things.  However, if there is no wisdom in place to make the right choices, you might as well throw the money out the window.

We see it everyday: there is enough wealth in the hands of certain people to eradicate every disease and get every single poor person in the entire world out of poverty.  Yet, it hasn't happened.  Why?  Well, first of all, because many of these wealthy people have not accepted Christ into their lives.  So the basic principle here is that God is not on the throne in many of these hearts.  Second though, is the very real idea that many of the ones who call ourselves Christians STILL do not possess the spirit of WISDOM that comes from God.

Solomon realized one thing that we all must consider.  He was born out of an ungodly situation, which meant that he at least had the potential to repeat history due to his father's past.  And so, he knew it would take far more than mere wealth to continue steering Israel in the right direction.  At the Lord's question, Solomon immediately knew that he needed something that would help him go beyond where he was to deal with issues that existed before he was even born.

Saints, we are faced with the same issues today.  Our parents have passed on to us iniquities--twisted ways of thinking that automatically rebel against God's plan for us. We are left with the residue of these issues -- broken relationships, sicknesses, and bad habits that render us ineffective in the kingdom of God.  How overwhelming it all would be if we didn't have the Holy Spirit to restrain and speak the Father's love to us!  But we must ask the Spirit of wisdom to abide and rest in and with us always.  Like Solomon's life, it's the only thing that will make the difference in our lives.

Prayer: Father, I recognize more and more that I can do nothing without You.  I need Your Spirit of wisdom and understanding in all things, so that I don't repeat the mistakes of my past, or go blindly into my future.  I invite You into my life daily.  Make Yourself at home and live big in me.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.       

No comments: