Lessons From the Shepherd King

Friday, February 25th, 2011

Today's Passage: 1 Samuel chapters 16, 17, and 18
Memory Verse(s):  Samuel 16:7

My name is David, son of Jesse, grandson of Obed, great-grandson of Boaz, husband and kinsman redeemer of Ruth the Moabitess.  You know me as psalmist, worshipper, warrior, and king.  But I've learned some lessons along the way from the pasture to the palace that are sure to be an encouragement to you.

Lesson number one: You may have big dreams, but don't stop doing what you know to do until the door opens.  As you may know, I was practically unknown.  Even my father hesitated to bring me forward when Samuel asked for his sons.  Yet, I had a date with destiny that no-one could stop.  The crazy thing about this whole destiny deal is that only GOD knows when it will unfold.  All we see are the dark pieces of glass, when He knows the whole plan.  So after I got slicked down with all that oil, I still had to go back to the pasture until the appointed time.

Lesson number two: When the Lord gets ready to promote you, He will prepare you by using hostile circumstances.  While I was a shepherd, I thought I was simply tending sheep, minding my own business.  But what I was actually doing  was fighting off dangerous animals that helped me develop the instincts of a warrior that I was able to use in my battle with Saul.  Furthermore,  only God could have known that my encounters with the lion and bear would give me the experience needed to confront Goliath and all the other enemies I would need to defeat.

Lesson number three: You will never be able to truly fight spiritual or physical battles without the power accessed through worship.  Were it not for the prophetic anointing on my life,  I would have been totally clueless as to how to handle Saul's jealousy and influence while he was still king.  I learned that every prophetic song I offered to the Lord was being stored up in my spiritual arsenal as a weapon against the enemies of my soul.  Worship the Lord with all your heart, and you will see how quickly you learn to fight for yourself and for others.  If you asked me, I'd say this is the most importing lesson I learned in my lifetime.  Stay in the Lord's presence.  Give Him your total devotion, and you'll be successful at everything you do.

Prayer: Father, thank You for teaching me how valuable I am in Your kingdom.  As I grow to cherish You more and love my brothers and sisters just as much, I want to be available to do great things just as David was, for You are still only moved by what's IN our hearts rather than what we look like on the outside.  May my devotion never diminish.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.   

No comments: