God's Redemption Plan

Monday, February 28th, 2011

Today's Passage: 2 Samuel chapters 11 and 12 (E-100 Reading)
Memory Verse(s): James 1:14-16

Now more than ever before, I think I realize why God allows us to have so many problems.  For one, they come to strengthen and harden us against the enemy.  But the second and perhaps more important reason is that they keep us from having time on our hands to devise evil schemes and play with temptation.  Observe what happened in David's life.

All along, David was mindful of keeping his life consecrated to the Lord.  Through every test and trial, he remained faithful and true to God's heart.  But it seems the minute he was released from having to deal with Saul's attacks, he forgot something vital: there was still an enemy out to steal his anointing and relationship with his God.  The minute he let his guard down,  he put himself in the position of compromise.

As I read this, I had to ask myself why it's so easy for us to consult God when everything is unsure and chaotic.  Then, when the Lord gives us the peace we're asking for, we turn our backs on him and do the exact opposite of His will.  Why was it so hard for David to hear God's voice when his desire for Bathsheba surfaced?  Why didn't he call out to God in that place of temptation?  Instead, he, who already had so many beautiful wives and concubines, took the wife of his faithful servant Uriah.

 As we know all too well, David's sin did not go unnoticed in the eyes of the Father.  And just like his ancestors Adam and Eve, he thought he could cover it up with yet another sin.  But God is not mocked, so although we can become repentant for what we did in that moment of weakness, there have to be consequences for our decisions in spite of the fact that God forgives us.  In addition, I absolutely love the way God's mercy brought him to the place of a contrite heart, as well as the place of mercy.  Wasn't that awesome the way God allowed the same place of his sin to produce something He could still use (Solomon)?  Praise God today for the way His plan of redemption works!

Prayer: Father, there have been times when I have ignored Your laws just the way David did.  Then, when I received the consequences for my actions, I saw the error of my ways,  but there was still something  in my life you could use.  I'm so grateful that the devil's scheme to sift me from God's plan did not-- and never will-- work!  In Jesus' Name, Amen.     

No comments: