Crossing "Your" Jordan!

Wednesday February 17, 2011

Today's Passage: Joshua 3:1-4:24
Memory Verse: Joshua 4:10

*E-100 Challenge

As I read the passages for today's devotional, I couldn't help but think of the excitement the children of Israel must have had when crossing the Jordan that day.  However, that wasn't the tone of the passage at all.  As a matter of fact, the formation God required seemed like He was setting up a death march.  It seemed the closer they got to "the promise", the more God instructed them.

I think sometimes we have a misguided impression of God's promises.  Yes, God's promise is something to rejoice about, but we also have to take it very seriously.  What excites us about His promise is the fact that we "get" stuff.  We're stuck in the "gimme" stage of life.  Truth is, God's promise requires obedience, sacrifice, and sometimes a battle or two.  You want what God promised you?  Position yourself.  He's not going to bring to you or drop it in your lap.  His instructions to you were clear.  He said do this, say that, and go there.  Therefore, if you go His way, you win.  Go your own way....well, you know the alternative.  All of us have a promise on our lives.  But not all pursue it.  That's right, pursuit.  To pursue means to follow with vigor; chase.  That's where God wants us.  He wants us to "chase" what He's set before us.  And what were the children of Israel following?  The ark....God's manifested presence.  God said when the ark goes into the Jordan, the waters would stop and the people would cross the river on dry land.  Wow!  At the very entrance of your promise, God still has to be in the midst.  When the money's right, it's right because God is in the midst.  When the relationship's right, it's right because God is in the midst.  And when all is right in your world, it's right because God is in the midst.  So, pursue Him.  Follow Him.  And you'll walk straight into your promise.  How do I know you ask?  I know because He's done it before....

Prayer:  Thank You Father for caring for me.  My focus must be on You and what You've instructed me to do.  Lord, make me ready for Your promise.  I need to be ready to work, fight, submit, love, and progress.  Guide me into the place you've designed for me.  I'll just put my hand in Yours as You lead the way, in Jesus' name. Amen 

No comments: