Who Do You Belong To?

Monday, October 10th, 2011

Today's Passage: Psalm chapter 23
Memory Verse> Ps. 23:1

Every organization I know spends a considerable amount of time and resources to establish one thing: a sense of belonging among the people who adhere to that particular organization.  There is a process through which this sense of belonging is accomplished, during which time the people who carry on the traditions of that group pass them on to the new "converts", if you may.  Usually this new group is observed to see which ones embrace the expectations that they will behave a certain way in order to show their alliegance.  Those who don't quite "get it" (basically, because they don't conform to the requirements that define this sense of belonging) often find themselves on the outs pretty quickly.

This phenomenon is most clearly seen on the college campus.  During the spring, there's this gathering called a "Rush" during which all persons who are interested in being a part of that particular organization come to see what it's all about, no strings attached.  At the point of giving basic information and expressing that interest, the real work begins.  Converts commit the next few weeks to grueling exercises, both physical and mental.  They subject themselves to emotionally tense situations, called "hazing", during which they're tested to see if they can really stick to the standards set by that organization, or if they cannot stand the pressure.  In the meantime, they memorize manuals that teach the principles of this group.  The process is so tough that those who stick it out until their "coming out", which is when they're accepted as part of that group with all the benefits, usually are loyal to that group for life.

So how is it that when it comes to becoming a "convert" of the kingdom of God, we don't feel as if we can submit to the discipline of becoming a part?  Jesus tells us that we must deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow Him if we want to be His disciples.  But I think we go in with the mentality of what's in it for us, rather than "Gosh, if God wants me to be His, I'm just grateful to be wanted."  And that's what calling Him Shepherd is all about.  We keep waiting for our flesh to agree with the process of giving ourselves totally to Him... but it won't.  But unlike with a secular organization, we seem to lose sight of the fact that WE are the ones who're receiving the best part of this deal.  Yes, we have to give our all, but He gave far more than we ever did.

If someone were to ask you, "Who do you belong to?" what would you like your response to be?  Would you sell them on the idea that you're just halfway a part of this organization called Christianity?  Or do you think they might at least respect you for being confident in what you believe in?  No matter how people might feel about Christ, they know that living for Him is a big deal.  They just don't like to see half-hearted Christians, because they instantly know it's not for real.  We hurt ourselves as well as potential converts when we don't buy into living for Christ with all our hearts.  Even Jesus says that any lukewarm believers will be spewed out of His mouth.  Nothing should matter more than saying, "the Lord IS my Shepherd."  This means I BELONG TO HIM.  He takes care of me, so whatever He tells me to do, I'll do.  May this be the attitude we develop in God's organization. 

Prayer:  Father, I am not ashamed of saying that I belong to You.  You purchased me when I wasn't worth what You paid for me.  Since I gave You my life, You've never steered me wrong.  Actually, when I've foolishly thought I knew what was best for me and stepped outside of Your protection, the results were disastrous.  Keep me in the shelter of Your loving care.  I'll never stray from it again.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.  

No comments: