Turn That DVR On!!!

Friday, October 21st, 2011

Today's Passage> Ezekiel 34:26-31
Memory Verse> Ps. 23: 2 & 5

Before you read this blog, you have to take a vow of silence. Promise me you won't tell my husband that I used this analogy. Really... I'm not supposed to be paying that much attention to the game of football (lol). Well, anyway, I noticed something my hubby does that I'm sure he doesn't do alone. First, he records all the games his favorite teams play. Then, he goes through and picks the ones in which they're victorious over the other team. After that, he plays them over and over again, no matter how old those games are. Once, I asked him why he watches the old games so faithfully when newer games are on. He didn't really answer my question, but he did ask, "Isn't it just like the chick flicks you like so much--why do YOU watch them so often?"

It made me stop to consider the point he had made. I realized that there's an expectation that comes with replaying something you've already seen. You can experience the favorable outcome over and over without the uncertainty of whether it'll really happen that exists with new shows. Furthermore, everyone prefers a happy ending to one in which the underdog doesn't win. This attitude keeps sports fans positive about their favorite teams no matter how many losses they have in a certain season, because they can simply turn on the DVR and relive the victory.

I wonder if this is what God's Word means when He tells us to think on things that are praiseworthy, true, lovely and of good report. It seems so easy to replay television shows that uplifted us, but so difficult to do the same thing with praiseworthy acts that God has performed for us in the past. On the way to the things God has promised, we must develop the habit of remembering that God is a Shepherd Who keeps His Word. Not only that, but what He provides while we're waiting for the triumphs, which are sure to come, is satisfying and more than enough... If our attitudes are right. There's nothing more disheartening to a shepherd than watching the sheep stray to what they perceive to be "greener pastures"; they have no clue the sacrifices that have been made to provide the best, and more of the best is yet to come, but we have to be content with the manna now.

As you arise this morning, I admonish you to take a look into your spiritual DVR. Take some time to search among your choicest recordings of God's victories in your life. Has He ever failed you? Has He ever NOT made supernatural provision in the most dire circumstances? When has one letter of His Word not come to pass? If it's been a while since you've seen it manifest, go back through your life and dwell on the goodness of the Lord. Feast on His faithfulness and refuse to allow reruns of anything that looks like defeat. You must line your faith up with His plans for your life, but the requirement for that to occur is that you believe He is everything He claims to be. Still not convinced having faith makes a difference? My husband has lived it concerning his football team-- so much so that for someone like me who couldn't stand the sport, I've seen my husband replay those victories so often that even I have begun to have an expectation. If it works for football, imagine what could happen in REAL life?

Prayer: Father, I take this time to praise You for being a faithful Shepherd. You spread Your provision before Your sheep, even in the presence of our enemies. May we now and forever rehearse Your mighty acts to our descendants, showing them that You are a good Provider so that they, too, can grow up to be grateful and content with what You are providing NOW. We receive all of Your goodness, and thank You for Never failing us. In Jesus' mighty Name, Amen.

No comments: