The Helmet

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Today's Passage: Ephesians 6: 10-18
Memory Verse: Eph. 6: 17

A friend of mine came to Bible study one night with his 4 year-old son.  While that in and of itself was not a strange occurrence, the fact that the little guy was wearing his t-ball helmet was.  My brother explained to me he made several attempts to take it off, but his son refused to release it.  Cute, huh?  

This shout out is for you little man.  I can hear the Lord say "If more of my children refused to take off their helmets, they'd be better off".  You see, God's helmet represents salvation.  It is literally the place where identification with Him is made possible.  The helmet of salvation is the part of the armor where validity, justification, mercy, and blessings are protected.  Think about it.  Taking a blow to the arm is usually not as damaging or fatal as a blow to the head would be.  God is teaching us that in the midst of this spiritual battle called life, always cover your head with the promise that you belong to God and will one day live and reign with Him.  Forgetting this truth would be like being in war but not knowing who you're for, or against.  

We wear helmets when performing activities that may cause injury to our head.  Biking, skating, sports, and climbing are all examples.  But don't forget military people wear helmets too.  They need protection for their heads while in the midst of battle.  God wants us to always wear our helmets too; and never take them off ....right Gavin?

I challenge you to study God's word about the helmet of salvation.  Understand that taking it off (by walking away from Him) can be costly.  It's vitally important to our spiritual lives.  So put on the whole armor of God so you can withstand the enemy in the evil day.  Next to the sword, it may be the most important piece of equipment we have.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, for Your gift of salvation.  The very definition of salvation tells me that I belong to You, that You are my covering and my Savior.  As You prepare me for the life that I live, I realize that salvation is what covers my head.  It keeps my mind stayed on Your love for me, and the great sacrifice that was made to demonstrate that love.  Thank You, Father.  My helmet will always be in the place You instructed, in Jesus name...Amen!  

No comments: