As For Me And My House...

Thursday, December 15th, 2011

Today's Passage: Exodus chapter 32
Memory Verses> Exodus 20: 1-3

In Exodus chapter 20, like a patient and loving Father, God outlines the laws He wants His children to live by in order to set them up for success. He leaves no confusion, but clearly says, "I am your God, the God Who brought you up out of slavery. You shall have NO other gods before me. You shall NOT make for yourself a carved image or ANY likeness of anything that is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water below. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, responding to the transgression of fathers by dealing with children to the third and fourth generation of those who reject me, and showing covenant faithfulness to a THOUSAND generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

But in Exodus 32, only a short while later, the children of Israel are doing the exact thing God tells them not to do. As a matter of fact, they are so specific in their rebellion that they make for themselves a carved image of a calf. Then they bow down and worship it, saying: "you, o great calf that we have made, are our god. You are the one who brought us up out of Egypt." and every time I read this passage, I get a little better understanding of the passionate mercy and grace of God. I can't see how God could witness that blatant disrespect and let those people live for one second longer. I get outraged in my spirit and want to punish them myself for going against God's law in such an outright manner.

But in the midst of my self-righteousness, I am reminded by the Holy Spirit that we are not so far removed from what the children of Israel did. Whereas we are not necessarily willing to physically carve an image to worship, what do we do instead of waiting on God? We find an alternative. The hearts of the Israelites are exactly the same as ours when we say to ourselves, "this God I put my trust in is taking too long to respond to my situation, so let me find another route, another answer, another solution.... Basically, another god". So what we end up communicating to God when we self-medicate or find illegal ways to solve our problems is this: "You are NOT the God Who delivered me before, for I have ALWAYS had to take care of myself, and I will do it again." We communicate our distrust and lack of faith in Him, and we let Him know that we're rejecting His ways and everything He is.

Saints, as we make choices concerning where we will live, what our occupation will be, and who we want our children to emulate, we have to put God first in everything we do. Finding other solutions to the problems that come up rather than waiting on Him to guide and direct us push Him farther and farther down the ladder. Who comes first says exactly how we feel about God. As for me nd my house, we've already chosen to be totally devoted to Him alone-- no matter what sacrifices we have to make, and no matter how long we have to wait. Anything less is not an option.

Prayer: Father, You are the God Who brought me out of darkness into Your marvelous light. You deserve all my worship, and I will seek to put You first no matter what. I will have no other gods where You should be. I will lift You high in my life for all to see. May Your Name be glorified forever! In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: